Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It's Always Been a Special Time

I can clearly remember some of my early Thanksgivings.  In Iowa (early grade school) we would gather with family and friends for a large meal, but my favorite part was watching patriotic filmstrips (yes, I said filmstrips - not videos, DVDs, etc).  One was the story of the Pilgrims.

A memorable Thanksgiving took place during my first year of seminary in Dubuque, Iowa.  We went to the farm at Monona, Iowa.  The house was filled with family (my grandfather, aunts, uncles and cousins).  Snow was on the ground and we made ice cream with icicles.  My wife Kay was excited that we were going to have Turkey and dressing until she saw the dressing.  It was not.  It was stuffing.  She had to ask, "What is that?"  It was obviously not southern cornbread dressing.

Over the years we have had special gatherings of family in Iowa and Texas.  They comprise my fondest memories. 

Well. this is turning out to be another really memorable Thanksgiving.  We usually spend Thanksgiving with my mom and dad (we will see them at Christmas).  But this year my son Josh (home on R&R from Afghanistan) and his wife Andrea and son Nate will join us the day after Thanksgiving.  On Thanksgiving day Kay and I will have our daughter Amy, our daughter Katie and her family (Tim, Katie, T.J. and newly born Anna), Tim's parents (Bill and Debra), Tim's sister and family (Rik, Sarah and Piper), and Kay's brother Terry.The table will be set with a feast of food and friends.

It's hard not to be thankful when so many blessings have been showered upon us.  But our greatest gift and blessing is the Lord.  He alone is worthy of all thanks, praise, glory and worship.  In His Name,  I speak blessings over all of you!  Have a joyous and memorable Thanksgiving!
blog comments powered by Disqus