Saturday, September 11, 2010

I'm a Fencepost


On Thursday evening, Kay and I were eating supper with good friends from East Texas (Ken and Ginny Bryan) and Louisiana (Roger and Charlotte Merschbrock).  During the conversation, Roger was talking to Ken and said, "Between you and me and the fencepost..."  

I interrupted with laughter, "So, now I'm a fencepost." A couple of more times during the evening we commented on my fencepost status.

The next day at lunch we were again eating with friends (state prayer leaders from Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi and Arkansas). Once again the issue of the fencepost came up, but this time, as I was laughing, the Lord clearly spoke to my heart.  

"You are a fencepost."  

He then began to reveal to me that a fencepost was a "connector."  It provided a place or location for boards or wire to be connected with other fence posts to provide a secure boundary.  It establishes who we are in relationship with others.  A fencepost is not a fencepost unless it is connected to other posts.  Together a line is drawn across the land that says, "this place is secure, protected, owned and claimed."  And not for us but for the Lord and His kingdom.  I shared this thought with Roger and he prophetically spoke to me,  "You are not only a fencepost, but a corner fencepost.  You (and Texas) are an anchor for the rest of us."

Amen.  I'm a fencepost, but the true fencepost - the chief fencepost - is our Lord.  He is our anchor and refuge.  Through Him we are connected together to claim the earth for Him.  But that also means that you are a fencepost too.  Welcome to the work of the kingdom!

"He used the apostles and prophets for the foundation. Now he's using you, fitting you in brick by brick, stone by stone, with Christ Jesus as the cornerstone that holds all the parts together. We see it taking shape day after day—a holy temple built by God, all of us built into it, a temple in which God is quite at home" (Ephesians 2:19b, The Message).





blog comments powered by Disqus