Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Courageous Governor - A Call to Pray!


Over a year ago I had the privilege of meeting with Governor Rick Perry of Texas.  We had a personal conversation with him in his office.  As a coordinator of prayer throughout the State of Texas, it was especially meaningful that we were able to sit down with the governmental leader of our state and to discuss issues pertinent to our state's future.


At the end of the conversation, Governor Perry invited us (Bob Long of Rally Call Ministries, my wife Kay and I) to pray for him.  As I prayed I felt (and spoke) that Governor Perry would be leading Texas in the next season and it would especially manifest with a spirit of humility.  This meeting happened a few months before he began his campaign for another term as Governor, which he eventually won.

But I knew in my heart that it was a bigger role of leadership than Governor.  Rumors are flying about whether he will run for President in 2012.  I don't know.  But I do know that a decision he made a few weeks ago caused my heart to leap as I remembered the words I spoke over him.  He made a brave and courageous decision to call our state and nation to a day of solemn fasting and prayer.

Governor Perry wrote:
Fellow Americans,

Right now, America is in crisis: we have been besieged by financial debt, terrorism, and a multitude of natural disasters. As a nation, we must come together and call upon Jesus to guide us through unprecedented struggles, and thank Him for the blessings of freedom we so richly enjoy.

Some problems are beyond our power to solve, and according to the Book of Joel, Chapter 2, this historic hour demands a historic response. Therefore, on August 6, thousands will gather to pray for a historic breakthrough for our country and a renewed sense of moral purpose.

I sincerely hope you'll join me in Houston on August 6th and take your place in Reliant Stadium with praying people asking God's forgiveness, wisdom and provision for our state and nation. There is hope for America. It lies in heaven, and we will find it on our knees.
Sincerely,

Governor Perry
This is the leadership he is demonstrating.  This is historic!  Words can not express my gratefulness to a governmental leader, especially a governor, who is willing to be so bold and courageous in troubling times as to say: "We must bow our knees before the Lord and pray." Thank you Governor Perry.  He is already taking heat and hits from those opposed to such a venture -- BUT GOD will honor both him and Texas as we honor Him and call on His name.  Join us August 6 in Houston at The Response!  Let us fast, pray and bend our knees before our Lord.
blog comments powered by Disqus