Thursday, December 1, 2011

They Saw the Light - Abraham Part 2

Come into my heart
Come into my heart
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus
Come into today
Come in to stay
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus.

And the LORD said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him: “Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are—northward, southward, eastward, and westward; for all the land which you see I give to you and your descendants forever. And I will make your descendants as the dust of the earth; so that if a man could number the dust of the earth, then your descendants also could be numbered. Arise, walk in the land through its length and its width, for I give it to you. Then Abram moved his tent, and went and dwelt by the terebinth trees of Mamre, which are in Hebron, and built an altar there to the LORD (Genesis 13:14-18).

Abram saw the light and the light transformed him.  Seeing the light of God is not meant to be some "internal spiritual experience" that warms our hearts.  It is meant to release us into our full destiny as members of God's kingdom.  Children sing it best when they cry out, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."  Notice with Abram that the Lord began to expand the realm of his influence.  Look to the north, south, east and west.  You will have "light-filled influence" over all that surrounds you.

From Heaven Above to Earth I Come
From heaven above to earth I come
To bear good news to every home
Glad tidings of great joy I bring
Whereof I now will say and sing.

"This is the Christ, our God and Lord
Who in all need shall aid afford
He will Himself your Savior be
From all your sins to set you free."

"He will on you the gifts bestow
Prepared by God for all below
That in His kingdom, bright and fair
You may with us His glory share."

Welcome to earth, Thou noble Guest,
Through whom the sinful world is blest!
Thou com'st to share my misery
What thanks shall I return to Thee?

My heart for very joy doth leap
My lips no more can silence keep
I, too, must sing with joyful tongue
That sweetest ancient cradle-song.

"From heaven above to earth I come" is based on a German song, "Vom Himmel hoch da komm ich her" written by Martin Luther in 1535. It was translated to English by Katherine Winkworth.
blog comments powered by Disqus