Monday, December 12, 2011

They Saw the Light - David Part 3

Come into my heart
Come into my heart
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus
Come into today
Come in to stay
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus.

David longed for God’s presence.  He went after God’s presence because that was his priestly calling.  He knew he had to go into the presence of God.  I believe he was driven there by the passion in his heart. How do I know that David longed for the presence of God?  All you have to do is start reading through the Psalms to hear David’s hunger for God’s presence.  For instance in Psalm 42:1, 2:

“As the deer pants for the water brooks,
So pants my soul for You, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When shall I come and appear before God?”

And in Psalm 63:8:
  “My soul follows close behind You;
Your right hand upholds me.
So, David pursued the Lord.”

Are you going to choose to worship God and be fruitful?
or will you choose to let somebody else do it for you?
Are you going to pursue God with everything within you…
or are you going to let someone else do it for you?
Are you going to choose to be a priest after God’s heart?

David chose to be a priest after God’s heart.  He went after God, and with reverence, gladness and sacrifice, brought God’s presence – the Ark of the Covenant - into Jerusalem. 1 Chronicles 15:1-3 records the occasion like this:

“David built houses for himself in the City of David; and he prepared a place for the ark of God, and pitched a tent for it. Then David said, "No one may carry the ark of God but the Levites, for the Lord has chosen them to carry the ark of God and to minister before Him forever." And David gathered all Israel together at Jerusalem, to bring up the ark of the Lord to its place, which he had prepared for it.”

When the Ark was in its place, all the appointed musicians, Levites and people of God gathered to worship the Lord in this tabernacle established by David.  I believe that God in that moment leapt with joy.  His desire for intimacy with His people expressed to Adam and Eve and to the Israelites at Sinai was being fulfilled."*

On that day - all of the City of David saw the light!

*Copyright 2005, Return of the Priest, Prince of Peace Press.
blog comments powered by Disqus