Monday, June 21, 2010

How Majestic is Your Work, O Lord

"Great are the works of the LORD;
         They are studied by all who delight in them.
    Splendid and majestic is His work,
         And His righteousness endures forever" 
(Psalm 11:2-3)


My undergraduate work at Texas A&M prepared me for work in the National Park Service. I was already assigned to Fort Union National Historic Site after graduation when the Lord arrested me for kingdom work as a pastor.  I met my wife Kay when I was working for LBJ National Historic Site in Johnson City and Stonewall, Texas.  I had mentioned in a previous blog that my family would travel and camp regularly as I was growing up in Iowa and Texas.  We visited all sorts of National and State parks.
On a trip to California for doctoral work at Fuller Theological Seminary in 1987, my family (Kay, my son Josh and my daughter Katie) joined me as I drove a camper from Texas.  We were able to visit Petrified Forest, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks on that trip.  BUT the highlight of the trip was in northern Arizona.  I have told many people over the years that there have been only two National Parks that took my breath away when I first saw them.  One was Yosemite but at the top of the list was Grand Canyon.

It has taken us 23 years to get back but Kay and I were able to visit Grand Canyon again today.  Once again I am overwhelmed by the creative ability of our Lord and God.  With His finger He carved out this majestic wonder.  It is indeed splendid.  On this trip we were able to hike partially down into the canyon.  Words can not describe our day.  Digital pictures can't either - but here are a few.

blog comments powered by Disqus